Pages

Friday, November 27, 2009

Horses: The way they are portrayed makes all the differance


This is a topic that really got me started writing The Legend of Skyrian. I realized a need for horses to be portrayed for what they really are: Horses.
 If you have differing opinions please, share them. I'd love to see other angles of this...

In many books and movies and video games horses are evoked as perfect angels that come at your beck and call, you know the kind. "My Little Pony" stereo types. This has always irked me.
Now, don't get me wrong. I think horses are angels and are some of the greatest things on the planet. But I also realize there is a a line to be drawn. 
Horses are not people.
Seriously, if your going to write a book about planets you get the facts. You don't simply write planets to be what you assume they are. They may end up to be just like stars in different skin. The same way horses need to be explored before you write up what you think they are like. You have to know them.
Some one once told me words I will never forget: "You can't write about something you don't know about."
When you do, people who do know about it will see through your story right away and the whole thing will collapse. Take this book and its reviews for example. Pay special attention to Writer/rider, ~*RanchGirl*~, and Lifelong horsey girl's reviews. (writer/rider's and ranchgirl's reviews are on the sidebar)
In my books I am really trying to stress that real horses don't match the media's view of them. I want my horses to be horses. To roll around, get dirty, play horsy games, ignore their owners commands on occasion, have mood swings, run away when said owner approaches with a bridle; you know real horse stuff!! Things that real horse people experience daily. Getting frustrated with a stubborn pony is as much a part of loving him as when you learn a new trick together and something just clicks.
If you take away a horses 'bad side' and replace it with perfect behavior, you might as well have your character brush a cardboard cut-out.

Okay, I'm not sure if I got my point across clearly,(there's still plenty I want to say!) but its all I have time for right now.
A hurried Cheers!~Gwyn

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with what you're saying. I actually have this problem a lot when I write, only it isn't the horses, it's the people. They're all perfect and never have any problems. I don't like conflict and I tend to write when I'm stressed so I naturally don't want to write about them having conflict in their lives when I'm stressed. LOL But that's boring so I'm working on making my characters real people. It's the same way with animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! That's great! It's also hilarious on my part because I LOVE writing conflict! Especially pointless arguments that crop up out of annoyance. :) You know, the ones that are just back and forth jabs ;)
    Anyway, I'm sure you'll get better! You might even begin to enjoy it! Who knows:)

    Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with that! That's what I tried to do in my book, but I don't know if I succeeded or not. :) Horses are a very, very large part of my story though.


    *grins very widely*


    I LOVE HORSES!!!

    ReplyDelete