Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Psalm 8

Psalm 8 has always had a special place when it comes to my list of very-best-favorite verses; ever since first I read it alone in the empty sanctuary before service in my little church. Perhaps it is because I have a curious nature and it voices one of the questions I ponder most: Why?
 What can He possibly see in Mankind worth sending His only Son to die for us? Certainly not because of anything we have ever done.
  It is, I think, a question to which there is no humanly comprehensible answer. But that doesn't stop me from wondering.



 Lord, our Lord, 
   how majestic is your name in all the earth!
   You have set your glory 
   in the heavens. 
 Through the praise of children and infants 
   you have established a stronghold against your enemies, 
   to silence the foe and the avenger. 


 When I consider your heavens, 
   the work of your fingers, 
the moon and the stars, 
   which you have set in place, 
what is mankind that you are mindful of them, 
   human beings that you care for them?


 You have made them a little lower than the angels
   and crowned them with glory and honor. 
 You made them rulers over the works of your hands; 
   you put everything under their feet: 
 all flocks and herds, 
   and the animals of the wild, 
 the birds in the sky, 
   and the fish in the sea, 
   all that swim the paths of the seas.
  Lord, our Lord, 
   how majestic is your name in all the earth!

Makes you think, doesn't it?
-Gwyn

7 comments:

  1. Psalm 8 is one of my favorites... I just love it!
    And your pictures are lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Dieter F. Uchtdorf said soem great stuff about that:

    This is a paradox of man: compared to God, man is nothing; yet we are everything to God.

    and:

    Though we are incomplete, God loves us completely. Though we are imperfect, He loves us perfectly. Though we may feel lost and without compass, God love encompasses us completely. He loves us because He is filled with an infinite measure of holy, pure, and indescribable love. We are important to God not because of our résumé but because we are His children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes...big thoughts!

    I was reading Job 28, verses 1-10 this morning, and the end of verse ten just jumped out at me: "...and his eye seeth every precious thing."

    Maybe that gives part of the answer to your question.

    I love your photos, btw...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi from Italy!
    I love the first pictures!
    keep in touch: www.iconadeironchi.blogspot.com
    fb: www.facebook.com/IconaDeiRonchi

    see you soon =)
    Gaia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos, and post! That is one of my favorite psalms! btw, I love your header! I'm following now!

    -Carli

    ReplyDelete
  6. I developed a special attachment to Psalm 8 when my choir sang this song. It's simply gorgeous:

    http://www.danforrest.com/2011/new-audio-of-psalm-8/

    ReplyDelete